Tenryu-ji (天龍寺) is located in Arashiyama, a scenic area at the foot of the mountains on the western outskirts of Kyoto. It is the main Temple of the area and features one of the finest garden and pond in Kyoto that was designed by the first abbot of the temple, Muso Soseki in the 14th century.
Tenryu-Ji Temple is a Unesco World Heritage Site
This is the oldest surviving example of “shakkei” (borrowed scenery) in Japan where the steep surrounding mountains of Arashiyama are perfectly incorporated into the design of this garden.
While there, be sure to see the newly painted Cloud-Dragon (Tenryu) on the ceiling of the Hatto (Dharma Hall) – it was painted in 1997 by the renowned nihonga artist Kayama Matazo (1927-2004), as one of the projects commemorating the 650th anniversary of the death of Tenryu-ji’s founder, Muso Kokushi.
We usually go there using the small Randen train from Shijo Omiya station, or by bus directly from Kyoto station.